Please remember to take time to do this assignment. Many of you have low grades because you did not write the thank you card or other smaller assignments. It is extremely important that you take time and thoughtfully answer these questions. The answers must be in grammatically correct sentences and written in pen or typed. If typed, it must be double-spaced.
1) Watch Al Sharpton's speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. You can find it on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBFREiCkf8.
2) While watching the speech be aware that you will need to answer the following:
1) Grade the speech using the oral presentation rubric. Skip the category on visuals. You will need to be flexible when grading the speech, since it is clearly not a senior exhibition presentation. On a piece of binder paper, write each category on the rubric and explain in a sentence or two why you gave each particular score.
2) Explain the purpose of Sharpton's speech. What is he trying to accomplish?
3) Does he repeat certain words or ideas? What are they? Why do you think he repeats them?
4) What are his pieces of evidence? What does he say to prove his point? Write about the strongest pieces of evidence.
5) What is the best part of the speech? Why?
6) What is the weakest part of the speech? Why?
7) Why do you think that many people consider this a great speech?